Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tonight's the Night

Tonight is the night. We will be told by the big electronic box in our living room who God has placed in the position of President of the United States of America. Many will be waiting with bated breath to see if there is hope of if we are doomed.

May I offer another scenario.
Let's think for a minute. Where is our hope?
Most of us live around 80 years. That means that I am closer to the finish line than to the start. Many will finish early. If today was your final day. If you were on the last page of life what would it all mean? I know many will say that is not a realistic view and maybe they are right. But what if you are in the middle of your book....there are still only so many pages. How do you want it to read?

Do you want to be worried, in despair, depressed or fearful? Angry or ready to revolt?
Do you want joy, the enjoyment of family and friends, laughter and peace?
In my view that it is up to us, whether one is rich or poor, whether one has a cupboard full of food or lives hand to mouth. One may live in a mansion or a camper. Contentment is our choice. I have seen mission trip pictures of children laughing and exuding joy who have nothing.
So the joy comes from within, not from our outward circumstances.
It takes a new focus.

It takes asking different questions.
How should my life be spent? What call do I heed? What message do I bring? What do I do today? What can I give? How can I show love and concern?

Jesus died for us. He freed us from sin and death. We are in but not of this world. Once we do not fear death there is nothing to fear. We are his. When we acknowledge that he is Lord we ask instead how do I fit in his plan. For what do we live. Often he doesn't give us a  life map but we learn moment by moment. We stay focused on his words and watch. Then moment by moment we begin to see a thing to do or a person to laugh with or a word to say. As Elizabeth Elliot says we "do the next thing".

So rather than get caught up in the worries of tomorrow lets commit to the best we can be today, now, this second and let tomorrow worry for itself.

  

No comments: