Saturday, January 10, 2015


If I could make a wish,what would it be. Would it be something selfish or something selfless?
I remember, as a young twenty something mom, thinking that if I won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes that I would give a huge amount to charity and family and purchase a modest but quite nice lifestyle for myself, all debt free. Then I became acutely aware that the aim was to sell magazines and the likelihood of obtaining riches by winning something was nearly impossible. Then as years progressed I became aware of an ugly truth; that my reality would have been much less philanthropic than my dream.I would probably have spent it on myself and gave a mere bit if anything, to the family and charity.

Just recently,  I had a different dream, some..??..years later. What if I won the Philippians Christian House Sweepstakes? 
I wish, for one thing,that we could all seek something redeemable in others. Yes, there are people that get on my nerves but I am more than certain that I pay that forward many times over. The Lord did not tell us to "endure one another with love" because we were easy to live with.
I am so excited about the doctrine of the unity and diversity of the Body of Jesus Christ. We are one Body with many members. We were created in Christ Jesus(or "saved" in Southern Baptist lingo)to be a gift to the rest of that Body.
If one or more believers in Jesus Christ is missing, the entire body is limping or crawling or maybe sitting in a vegetative state. 
I think one problem is that many of us, as children, were chosen last on baseball teams. Or maybe we sat on the bench in basketball. But whatever our experience, we came away with the idea that we have nothing to offer or that some one else is better at it or that just being a spectator or occupant is enough. This is so very sad. Because of it the Church of Jesus Christ is limping. We are a body missing vital parts. We are trying to run without feet. We are trying to comfort without arms. We are trying to think with out brains and trying to love without hearts.
If I could have a wish it would be that every member would see how important they are. I wish that every member could see how vital others are. I wish we could work together as one body.
I wish we could feel each others heartbeat.
I wish every single Christian knew that he or she is  desperately needed, wanted, and loved. 
If you know Jesus Christ you have a place in His Body.
Be there!     

   

No comments: